Author Topic: PS101 - Creating digital screentones  (Read 5294 times)

Pa Kalsha

• Master of all xe surveys
  • Administrator
  • Junior
    • View Profile
    • cheerfulomelette.co.uk
PS101 - Creating digital screentones
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
Since I am going back over my old comics and re-digitizing them, I thought I would share how to make your very own digital screentones using Photoshop.  I used CS3 for this version, but even PS7 would work the same way.

Step 1 - Open up a new gray scale document.  Whatever size document you are going to use for your comics pages is fine.  I use the American Comics Standard of 19 x 26 cm.  You will want to create your digital screentones at the same resolution you will be printing.  I use 600 dpi, but I have a fire-breathing dragon of a system, so you could go lower, say 150dpi.  It's all up to you.

Step 2 - Using the Fill Tool, color the blank page with 10% gray from the Swatches bin.

Step 3 - Click on the Filter tab, highlight Pixelate, and select Color Halftone.

Step 4 - Using the Default settings, click OK.  You can play around with these setting later if you want, again it's all up to you.  Check out the way cool dots, man.

Step 5 - Save your image as something that will help you to identify the file as a 10% tone.

Step 6 - Create a new layer, delete the old 10% fill layer, and repeat steps 2 thru 5, using a different fill value each time.  I made up a set of tones from 10% to 90% in about 15 minutes, so it ain't that hard.

Originally posted by Professor Az in 2008
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:16:01 AM by Pa Kalsha »