Author Topic: How can I make my canvas pure black as evenly as possible  (Read 995 times)

RyanCaleb

• Suprisingly artistic spambot
  • Prospective student
    • View Profile
How can I make my canvas pure black as evenly as possible
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:20:41 AM »
Hello everyone!
My Name is Ryan Caleb and I live in germany. I am currently facing a huge problem that I can not solve for myself.
It sounds simpel: I want to make a pretty huge canvas (180cm x 120cm or 70" x 47") entirely black.
The thing is, no matter how I try to do it, it always looks messy at the end. I cant find a way to have an evenly
black painted canvas (Ideally so that you can't see the brush strokes).

You can see what I mean with 'messy' on the pictures I uploaded.

Here is what I have already tried:
1: I covored the first Canvas with black oilpaint and used a little bit of solvent. I tried to spread the paint very evenly but at the end I got those "shiny" spots as you can see in the first picture.
2: For the second canvas I used black gesso but that stuff dries so quick that I also got thicker spots when I brush over some places a second time as you can see in the second picture.

my Ideas for the next canvas:

I thought of toning my canvas by thinning the oilpaint, brushing it on and than wiping most of the color off using tissues. Than letting it dry and repeating the process so many times that I eventually end up with a pretty evenly coated black canvas.

Since I always run into trouble with paint that drys very quick I am pretty sure that oilpaint is the way to go here.

I would be so happy, if someone could explain to me how I could cover my canvas as evenly as possible with black paint,
without getting those irregular structures.

Thanks in advance!

[spam link removed]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:56:17 PM by Pa Kalsha »

Mother Roshiya

• Sophomore
  • Formerly ChrissyCATZ
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make my canvas pure black as evenly as possible
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:47:43 PM »
Hmm... I see what you mean...

I've never tried to do such a huge painting by myself, to be honest, but considering what you've already tried and my own experiences with both oil and acrylic, I'll make the following suggestion based on an educated guess:

Mix your Ivory Black oil paint with straight turpentine to thin it out, rather than the linseed oil. Probably go with more of an ink like consistency than a thick paint consistency. Then, using a, probably 2 or 3" flat brush, start from the top left corner and brush the paint on in an X pattern along the top of the canvas until you get to the top right corner. Then use a dry (no paint) flat brush and slide it horizontally across the canvas in line with the canvas weave to smooth it out. Then repeat with paint under that line, going line by line, applying in an x and smoothing with a dry brush, until the entire canvas is covered. I think once it dries the turpentine will technically evaporate out of the base and you'll just be left with the oil pigment on the canvas, eliminating the shiny splotches.

Let me know how it goes please? It's been over half a decade since I've worked with oils on account that long dry times plus two young children is just a recipe for disaster!