Author Topic: Generosity and Greed  (Read 762 times)

Pa Kalsha

• Master of all xe surveys
  • Administrator
  • Junior
    • View Profile
    • cheerfulomelette.co.uk
Generosity and Greed
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
I've done nine hours on this piece today and I'm completely image-blind at this point, so I'll probably have to do the same again tomorrow but - for now - I feel like I'm really close to done.

What am I missing?

lauwenmark

• Freshman
  • Ad Dwarvam Aeternam!
    • View Profile
    • The Terror Gallery
Re: Generosity and Greed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »
It looks quite nice so far.

I'm a little disturbed by the background lightning. I'd tend to think that the gold that's further away from us (behind the corner of a wall?) is too shiny and, as a result, distracts attention from the fighting scene. Given that looks like a dramatic moment of an epic battle, I think the chiaroscuro effect would need to be strenghtened a bit.

Also, maybe it is just me, but there's something bugging me over the composition itself. The fight happens on the left side of the picture; the unicorn points at the left side. The gold hills are also sliding to the left... Somehow, it feels like everything is 'pushed' against the left edge of the picture. I think it would have worked if the composition had played in opposing a 'bottom-left of light of good' vs 'a surrounding of evil darkness' - but for it to work, the unicorn-dragon axis would have needed to be opposite as it currently is (bottom left->top right, instead of top left->bottom right).

A nice paint overall, even if I'm not particularly fond of pink unicorns :)

Hope this may be of some help!

Pa Kalsha

• Administrator
  • Junior
    • View Profile
    • cheerfulomelette.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »
You're only bloody right, aren't you? >:(
Looks like I got caught up trying to do something clever and let the fundamentals get away from me. Thank goodness it's digital.

So:
  • Unicorn rising to meet the dragon (rising diagonal symbolising hope, optimism, and all that good stuff).
  • Rotated background pillar to indicate a skewed horizon (added drama), reinforce the rising diagonal and catch the viewer before they wander off the page.
  • Background values dropped way back, circular gradient to put higher contrast on the area of conflict.
  • Toyed around with some suggestion on what Madame Sparklehooves there is actually doing with her magic spell (because otherwse it looks like the dragon is about to chomp her, which is more or less the complete opposite of the intention behind the picture).
There's still plenty to push around, particularly in the values department, but flipping the canvas was a big help to getting this back on the right track.
Cheers.

Pa Kalsha

• Administrator
  • Junior
    • View Profile
    • cheerfulomelette.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »
Oh, wow, I've not crawled out of my pit to show this one in public for some time.
I'm beyond ready to call time on this one; is there anything egregious that needs fixing before I put it to bed?